Creating a safe haven for Palm Beach County’s runaway children was the goal of The Haven’s founders in 1976. Today, The Haven’s 14-acre campus in Boca Raton provides a home for boys ages 9-17 who have been removed from abusive and neglectful homes and placed in protective care by the state of Florida.
Although The Haven is based in Boca Raton, The Haven accepts young men from a wide area of Florida from Palm Beach County west to Fort Myers, north to Orlando and south to Miami-Dade County. The Haven is licensed to serve 24 boys, and annually serves approximately 52-60 unduplicated boys, who reside in homelike cottages, staffed 24/7 by a trained direct care and therapeutic staff.
Basic needs are provided as the boys attend school and work in the community. An expanded program incorporates daily life skills instruction, academic counseling and tutoring, individual and group therapy, transitional living skills, and enrichment activities to prepare the boys for independent living. This integrated approach ensures that our boys will acquire the necessary life skills, academic support and emotional health to reunite with their families, join foster families, be adopted or become self-supporting.
By midnight on his 18th birthday, every young man must leave The Haven, as mandated by Florida’s Road to Independence Act. To ease the transition, The Haven partners with local organizations that provide ongoing support services and continue to empower the boys to become self-sufficient adults.
Seventy percent (70%) of The Haven’s funding is provided by Medicaid and the state of Florida. The remaining thirty percent (30%) is funded through the generous support of our many friends in the community. The Haven is accredited by NonProfits First and is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation. In addition, The Haven is the recipient of five, consecutive 4-star ratings from independent charity evaluator Charity Navigator, ranking The Haven in the top 4 percent of all U.S. charities for its financial health based on organizational efficiency and capacity.